Thursday, March 10, 2011

Jogging Along

Grey skies, drizzle, snow and ice patches on the ground, huge puddles. Still, the temperature is above freezing and it feels SOOOO good to be outside after a long, cold winter.
I breathe better, my mood is elevated, I remember why I started running in the first place.
It was a brief run (or rather jog): only 1.5 miles, I came home soaked (not from sweat) but it's a start.
It's so different from indoor running - my body is currently acknowledging that:)
(or perhaps, the combination of  sculpting class in the morning with the run)

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, I'm reading a book called Run For It, by Karen Bridson, which is a true pep rally for running. In it is good advice from a three-time marathoner on all the practical, physical, and emotional issues and benefits as well as testimonials from women whose lives have been totally changed by running. A fair amount of this could also apply, in some measure, to other physical activities. I'm glad you're now able to enjoy some outdoor runs again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Running, however, provides a different feel from walking. The speed, the rhythm creates that difference. In addition to that it is a greater challenge, so completing a run makes one feel (perhaps) more empowered.

    I am not suggesting one is superior to the other. Walking brings other benefits. I always found solitary walking helpful to think things through.
    Solitary runs, on the other hand, are great to clear the mind.

    Walking with a partner is wonderful - you can walk AND talk. Running with a partner may leave you breathless :)

    As for outdoor runs - maybe some of the days I'll be able to do them. Our weather is really unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete