Thursday, March 31, 2011

And A New Recipe Is Born

In the  name of colour, I pulled out the hefty bag of Baby carrots we bought at Costco.
I was going to turn it into my usual Carrot Loaf, only to discover that I was missing several ingredients.
Oh well, but I had lovely fresh mushrooms on hand...
What to make?
Well, Carrot and Mushroom Loaf, of course.

I took the end slices of a whole wheat bread - turned them into bread crumbs (w. the help of my trusted food processor.)
Then, processed a small piece of Gruyere that was just hanging out in my fridge.
Next, I tossed in a whole lot of carrots and grated those.
I switched to the cutting blade and chopped up two small sweet onions.

I put the onions, carrots into my cast iron frying pan on med. heat.  In the meanwhile, preheated the oven at 350F.
While the veggies were softening, I chopped four nice large white mushrooms and added them to the mix. Lowered the heat, sprinkled on a bit of salt, covered the pan and let it cook gently for about 10 - 15 minutes. Once all the veggies were tender I let them cool off.
Next, I added 1/2 cup of Tahini, 1 tsp of Tamari Soy Sauce,  a few TBSP of Ajvar *(an eggplant/pepper spread)  the breadcrumbs and 1 beaten egg.
I mixed everything well, then transferred them into a parchment-lined loaf pan and baked it for about 30 minutes. At that point, I added the grated cheese and baked it some more till the cheese melted.

*Ajvar could be easily substituted with some tomato paste, pasta sauce, with some seasoning. It would work just fine.

Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment