Friday, June 24, 2011

Greens

As I am determined to eat (and serve) more greens, I have been making an effort to include  them in our meals.
Today, Beet greens were added to rice pasta for lunch - very nice.


These greens (and chard, rapini) are very easy to deal with:
-blanch for a couple of minutes
-cool off in cold water,
- in a pan (or wok) saute garlic with hot pepper flakes, add greens, toss for a couple of minutes, add pasta of your choice, heat. You may add a little of the water your pasta was cooked in. (S&P to taste)
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. OH! We have chard, spinach and beet greens coming on in our garden! I know what I'm having for supper tomorrow night! :)

    --Jehanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made it again last night, Jehanne -
    This time with Soba noodles. Everyone enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot to tell you that I made it, too. It was SO-o--o good! My kids haven't tried it... they've been making excuses to avoid it, b/c they just think greens are nasty. I never did find any kale at our local grocery. I'll have to look further. Since I had a little left over tonight, I warmed it and sprinkled a little feta on top. That was good, too. :)

    Jehanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you enjoyed it, Jehanne.

    They might change their mind... perhaps try with little green, more cheese at first, and gradually change the proportions... Might work.

    ReplyDelete