Monday, May 16, 2011

Toasted Coconut

Well, I had toasted coconut sitting in my cupboard. When I saw the suggestion to use it with my Oatmeal, I    just had to try.  It was very enjoyable. In fact, I did not even bother with any sweeteners - the coconut with a bit of dried cherries did the trick for me.

Since I had it out already, I decided to make a batch of Vegan Energy Bars.
Original recipe can be found here - you'll want to scroll down.

My version:

  • 2 c. quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/4 c. mixed dried fruits (cherries, blueberries)
  • 1/4 c. (total) cocoa nibs and toasted coconuts
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter
  • 1/4 c. brown rice syrup
  • 1/4 c. coconut sweetener 
  • 2 T. ground flax seed + 6 T. water
Follow the original instructions for assembly  then bake.
Once ready, drizzle with a little melted dark chocolate.    (It is not as sweet as the original version)

No comments:

Post a Comment