Thursday, August 25, 2011

Market At Its Best

I wish I had taken my camera with me. This is THE perfect season:  tomatoes, peppers, peaches, berries... included gorgeous, plump blackberries...
My first stop each week is at the flower stand. They have the prettiest, freshest cut flowers. And they have Orchids. Beautiful, irresistable Orchids. Orchids tend to like me and reward me with gorgeous, long-lasting blooms. That is why I could not resist this beauty:
I promise a better photo as soon as I get a chance...
When I bought the orchid, the gentleman there enlightened me that it needs monthly feeding plus every other month I must give it a powder that encourages blooming...  He also gave me some:) As if that was not nice enough he gave me a bouquet of gorgeus red roses with a heavenly smell... I can't walk by them without sniffing them:)

I was smiling while I went to visit the lady with the mushrooms:
Yellow Oyster Mushrooms...  so fresh and beautiful:)
apparently, they retain their colour through cooking!




Of course, I picked up some gorgeous tomatoes,
(the zebra is my personal favourite)










I could not believe all the colours eggplants come in.. (the red one is a Turkish eggplant)
or those of the beans.




I am now the proud owner of some Rainbow Chards and some Kale.
A good day, I would say:)

What did I do with all the wonderful produce?
So far, I put together a lovely Roasted Vegetable Salad with Lentils, a bit of Feta cheese over fresh Leaf Lettuce, topped with a  home-made dressing of EVOO, Red Wine Vinegar and Dijon.
Delicious.
I'm going to enjoy the next few months with all the great fresh produce!

No comments:

Post a Comment